What You Least Expected Mix


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Chapter 1. The Shock of My Life



Play list: In my arms - Plumb
What You Least Expected
Chapter 1. The Shock of my life.
Isabella Swan
Several Months Later...
"One more big push Bella." Dr. Ross said in a soothing encouraging voice.
I panted in shallow breaths as I tried to curve my chest in and push with all my strength.
"That's it honey,” he chanted. “Push, push, push, push!" 
I pushed with all my might and let out a strangled cry as the contraction passed and I collapsed back onto the bed. 
At my side, the wired haired red headed nurse dabbed my forehead with a cool face cloth. "You're doing great sweat heart." She soothed. Glancing over to monitors, she smiled softly and helped me back into the curved little squat as another contraction built up. "You can do this honey.” She encouraged, sensing my utter exhaustion. “Give us one more big push. I want to see that beautiful baby!" 
They were the words I needed to hear. With my fist balled up and grasping the sweaty hospital gown that clung to my clammy body, I gritted my teeth and with every ounce of energy I had, I pushed. 
Then, it was like everything had slowed down. The room was suddenly silent and all time seemed to stop just before the most beautiful sound filled the room. 

The soft wails of a baby.
My baby.
"It's a boy!" cried Dr. Ross proudly as he placed my whimpering son to my chest. 
The nurse quickly rubbing him down with a fluffy white towel before wrapping it around him. She smiled warmly at me when my eyes flicked to her and then back my baby.
The cries that had been just filling the room had silence into a little whimper as my hand weakly reached up to hold him to me securely. For a moment I just closed my eyes and breathed out in relief. For one moment I allowed happiness to surge through my body and fill me with joy. When I felt him wiggle a little against me, I opened my eyes to see him safe against my chest, breathing steadily, black little eyes staring up at me.
Tears filled my eyes as I gazed down at my son.
I had a son. 
"Wait a minute," Dr. Ross said suddenly, eying the nurse with a quizical look on his face.
She quickly scooped up my son and wrapped him in some clean blankets, shuffling him off to another nurse who proceeded to clean him up.
"Bella, it seems someone was hiding out behind their big brother." Dr. Ross mused.
"What?" I asked in complete exhaustion and disbelief.
"Bella, I’m going to need you to give me another few strong pushes."
Was he serious? I didn't have any energy for that. 
As if noticing my dilemma, Dr. Ross snapped to action and nodded to the red headed nurse beside me.
Before I could even consider his words any further, the red headed nurse slipped behind me and took my hands in hers. “You can do this, honey.” 
With her support, I grunted, panted, and pushed until I heard the shrieking wails of another child's cry fill the room. These cries were much different from that of my sons. They were piercing in volume and never ending in sound.
"My, my, my!” Doctor Ross chuckled in amazement. “Congratulations, Bella. It seems you have a daughter as well." 
I blanched, trying to wrap my mind around all of this. 
Two babies.
Two babies? 
How had he not caught that in the half dozens of ultrasounds I’d had?
I watched as Doctor Ross worked quickly to cut the cord before he leaned toward me with my little girl with a bright smile. “Surprise mommy.” He said as he placed the small shrieking baby on my chest. 
All I could do was let out a choked laugh as the tears ran hot down my cheeks. 
“Hi sweetheart,” I cooed as I reached out to touch her goo covered head. Her wails still hadn’t let up despite my attempt at soothing her.
Doctor Ross laughed as he draped a white towel over her. “She’s got a good little set of lungs.”
The same nurse that had first taken my son came and quickly scooped her off my chest a moment later. 
“Let me get her cleaned up, mommy.” She smiled brightly, but a small frown touched her face as her eyes met Doctor Ross’s.  It wasn’t hard to miss their exchange. Months ago, I had been a master at deciphering facial expressions and silent conversations.
“Now there’s just one more thing to take care of.” Doctor Ross resumed his place back at me feet. “Just relax and give me a small push, Bella.” 
With very little effort on my part, the placenta’s were birthed. 
“Had you decided on cord blood banking?” Doctor Ross asked. 
I shook my head. “I wish I could, but I just can’t afford the extra expense.” 
“There are programs to make it affordable.” Doctor Ross pressed. “It’s a very good investment.” 
“I know that it is. I wish I had the extra income to have the ability to invest.The payments are just too high for me to take on by myself.”  
Doctor Ross seemed thoughtful for a moment. “I’ll tell you what, I’ll have it billed through my office. You can pay me back what you can, when you can.” 
“I couldn’t ask you to do that.” I shook my head. “It’s too generous.” 
“It isn’t.” Doctor Ross smiled. “You’re my patient, Isabella and I look out for my patient’s best interests. Money shouldn’t be an object when it come to the health and security of your family.” 
I didn’t know what to say to that, though I knew what he was saying was right, it still didn’t feel right to take his generous offer. 
“Doctor?” The nurse handling my daughter called to Doctor Ross.
I watched as he moved toward the corner of the room to speak with the nurse. A few second later he began his own examination of her little fragile body. I listen as she still fussed, her cries turned to sad little whimpers that broke my heart. 
I’d never thought I’d be maternal. Actually, I was worried that would be just the case. Motherhood didn’t always come naturally to everyone. That was something I had learned the hard way from my own mother. 
I watched Doctor Ross intently as he continued looking my little girl over. When he was finished he very carefully scooped her up in his arms and patted her back. I had thought he was going to bring her to me, but time seemed to be at a standstill as I waited for him to place her in my arms.
It never happened.
 A few seconds later, another nurse in a blue surgical gown came into the room wheeling a small plastic incubator with her.  
Panic quickly replaced my elation as I frantically looked toward the nurse who was looking over my son. I watched as she bypassed my son and his nurse and came straight to Dr. Ross with her arms extended. 
He wasted no time in handing my daughter over. 
"What’s going on?” I demanded, watching the scene unfold in front of me. 
The nurse quickly swaddled my daughter and secured her in the little plastic bed without another word. “Is she all right?" I demanded breathlessly, panicked and exhausted. 
I couldn't even think straight. It felt like my already broken heart was shattering.
"Relax Bella," Doctor Ross came to my bedside and patted my leg soothingly. "She's a little small and I want to be sure she's well developed. As a precaution I'd like to put her in the NICU for a few days and run some tests. Just until were sure everything’s as it should be."
His words did not sooth me. I had just began to accept that fact that I would be a single mother, and now I was sprung with the surprise of a second child to care for. Not just that either, there also might be something wrong with my surprise daughter. This was quickly becoming more than I cold handle. 
I felt my eyes glass over with tears anew. 
As my emotions escalated into soft sobs, I wiped a few tears away as they trailed down my cheeks.
Doctor Ross wrapped his arms around me in comfort. “It’s okay, Bella. I promise that this is just a precaution.” He releases me and gently touches my cheek with a small smile. “I’ll be back by to check up on you a little later. Get some rest.” With that, he turned and left the room following the retreating nurse towing my daughter away. 
My head practically spun with all my thoughts. I didn’t know what the hell I was going to do. I’d barely known when I knew I was having just one baby. Now I had twins.
"You did wonderful sweetie." The red headed nurse cooed, breaking up my inner tumultuous thoughts. "I'm going to go grab you a few warm blankets. Can I bring you anything, can I call someone for you?” 
“There’s no one.” I shock my head as my eyes filled with more tears.  “Just my dad and I’ve already called him. He should be here soon.” 
“There isn’t anyone else?” Her eyes softened as she watched me carefully. 
“No.” My voice broke on the word. “Not anymore.” 
A tender expression flittered across her face as she reached her hand out to settle on my shoulder in comfort. She looked like there was more she wanted to say, but wisely refrained. 
“Do you want something to eat?" She smiled and I nodded slowly, trying to regain my emotions. "I'll be right back." She said before slipping out the door.
The nurse that was attending to my son had him all wrapped up and clean, she smiled warmly at me as she approached me slowly and placed my son in my arms. "You sure make beautiful babies." She smiled as she handed him off.
"Thank you." I felt the old signs of a blush creep across my cheeks. Carfully, like he was made of the most fragile glass, I took my son in my arms and held him for the first time.  
Looking down at him, our eyes locked for only a moment. The single second was all it took for our bond to be solidified. Slowly, his goop covered eyes blinked and he let out a huge yawn for such a small guy.
I couldn’t help the giggle that burst from my lungs with such joy and elation. 
 "Hi buddy," I cooed as our eyes met again.
The nurse, who was still hovering over me looked down at us and smiled.
"He's got a gorgeous full head of hair," She gushed. "Have you decided on a name for him yet?" 
As she spoke I studied his little features; touched his face and just memorized him. Completely lost in my own world, I pulled back the thin blue cotton cap and gasped.
There, in familiar disarray was shade of unmistakeable deep brown, coppery hair.
I prepared myself for this. 
I tried to remind myself. I tried to keep calm and cool as I continued to stare.  
I knew there was a possibility he might look like his father. 
I just hoped…that...
Well, I don't know what I hoped for.
I stared down at my son, finally seeing how much resemblance he bared to the man I still loved but no longer held. 
"Anthony," I said quickly as a new wave of emotion broke over me like a tidal wave. "His name is Anthony Edward Cullen."
I looked down at him, slowly stroking my fingers over his cubby cheeks and plump pink lips. 
Tears gushed down my cheeks faster than they ever had before as I looked at him, thinking the only thing that I could in that moment as I stared at the product of a love I thought would last forever. 
For me, it would. 
I should have better prepared myself. I should have scribbled every possible scenario down. 
The fact was, nothing could have prepared me for this. 
“He’s going to be a little heartbreaker.” The nurse crooned in awe. “Have you noticed those green eyes?” Her tone rose with excited astonishment. “I’ve never seen eyes so green in a person, especially a newborn baby.” 
I could only nod as I kept my eyes locked on Anthony. I didn’t trust myself to do anything else, because I had seen eyes this green before. They were painted behind my lids every time I closed my eyes. They followed me in every reflection I passed. 
A steady trail of tears washed over my cheeks.
“You must be bushed, dear.” The nurse soothed, misinterpreting my duress. “Why don’t you let me take Anthony down to the nursery so you can get some rest? You should take advantage while you have the opportunity.” She smiled softly down to me. 
I nodded in agreement after I thought about her advise. When she reached for him though, I pulled away slightly. 
“Not yet.” I spoke softly, reigning in my emotions. I wasn’t ready to let him go just yet. 
She smiled knowingly down at me. “I’ll just go secure his spot in the nursery and come back in a few minutes with his crib.”
“Thank you.” I managed, before she was walking out the door. 
When the door was closed and we were shut in the room, alone and together. I allowed myself to really focus completely on the small bundle wrapped securely in my arms. 
He’s beautiful. So, so beautiful. 
Just like Edward. 
“Hi.” I sniffled through. “I’m your momma.” 
Reaching up, I stroked my fingers over his petal soft lips. 
“I’ve waited for you for a while now,” I smiled down at him, as I spoke tears trickled down my cheeks. “I didn’t know you were hiding your sister, though. I hope this isn’t just the makings of your first of many team ups against me in the future.” 
Through the gooey jelly that coated his eyes, he looked up at me blinking and silent. 
“You know,” I cooed sweetly to him. “The truth is, you were a surprise too. A good surprise once I allowed myself to let it sink in.”  Frowning, I pushed the uneasy feeling from my stomach. “We’ll be okay, though. As long as we agree right now that you’ll continue to behave like the angel your acting like right now. Make sure you have this pep talk with your sister later, too.” I smiled, but it was short lived.  
I sighed suddenly with frustration. 
“We’ll need to think of a name for your sister, you know.”  
I hadn’t even considered girls names while I had narrowed down my list. I knew I was having a boy, so there wasn’t a need to even dwell on it. 
“It’ll have to be special.” I lamented. “Something as unique as she is.” 
I sat silently, just staring down at Anthony as he continued to blink up at me. His curious eyes were always locked on mine, as we stared at each other. It might have been a little disturbing, having my son watching me so intently...the way his eyes pierced my soul was so familiar....so natural. It was the same way Edward used to stare at me. 
In that flash of acknowledgement, I suddenly realized how much like Edward he was beginning to reveal himself to be.  And while I tried to remind myself that it was okay, that I could handle it, I wasn’t sure I could. I hadn’t prepared for this. I don’t think I could have ever prepared myself for this. 
With pain back fresh in the fissure that we re-cracking my chest, I swallowed hard and pushed it down. 
I had a responsibly. I was responsible for someone else now. Two someone else’s. 
 I had to push everything else away now, focus on my babies. There would time for me to deal with my grief -- my fear, later. 
“Well,” I sighed. “Looks like your stuck with me.” His doe eyes blinked up at me. “I’ll give you everything I’ve got to give, little man.” I promised. “But you’re going to have to be patient with me. I might not always be easy, but you should know, that everything I do will always be because I love you.” Tears came hard and fast then, unrestrained and unstoppable. 
“I love you, so much.” I told him softly as tears dripped down my chin. “I love you, and I’m never going to give up on you.” 

1 comment:

  1. My heart is aching for Bella and the little ones!!!!! It was a very unexpected surprise to find out she got two unstead of one. She is scared, nervous and oddly heartbroken but thrilled at the sametime. It will be tough but she will make it through.

    ReplyDelete