What You Least Expected Mix


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Chapter 2. How the End Began


What You Least Expected 
Chapter 2. How the End Began. 
Play List: Good Life - OneRepublic 
Unraveling - Sevendust 
Isabella Swan 
I still remember that summer like it was just passing. It was a summer I could never forget. It was a time in my life that everything in my life changed. Until that point of my life, I was the same person. Everything had been pretty structured for me, my suture was laid out for me in a way I had never thought I would’ve wanted. Everything was perfect, my life with Edward was something written in the oldest of fairytales. I should have realized then how unobservant I had been. I should have known that a perfect love wasn’t real. 
We got home from our Cayman's trip right after Edward's birthday, Edward started summer classes to get a head start on his medical career, while I dove into scrap booking with Esme and Alice. 
It was supposed to be a really laid back summer for me. I only had three classes left to take in the fall in order to complete my masters degree in English and none of them were offered in the summer. At first, I had wanted to pick up a few random classes just to have something to fill my time, but Edward had persuaded me to take it easy. 
He said that I should enjoy the time off before both of our schedules exploded in September. He wanted to spend as much time together as we could before he entered into his medical program at the end of August. We both knew that when he started his medical program at Seattle Children’s our lives would be turned upside down. 
Not as complicated as it would’ve been had he accepted Boston Children’s Hospital offer. Given Carlisle reputation and Edward’s stellar marks, they were hungry for him to join their ranking, but Edward had declined immediately. That had confused me at first, Boston would be a dream. Something about Edward turning down a top of the line teaching hospital with hoards of seasoned professionals at the tips of his fingers just didn’t fit right. I couldn’t understand him turning it down and when I first pressed him for the answer as to why, he’d shrugged it off like it wasn’t a big deal. He acted like they were a bunch of stuffed shirt asshole or something. It was driving me crazy. 
Two days later he’d gotten an offer from Seattle Children’s and snatched it up like a starving man at a buffet. 
I mean, Seattle Children’s was great. Not number one, but still great. I was happy for him. For us. 
It wasn’t until later that week that we went out to celebrate with his family on the achievement that I learned the truth.  I had to get him drunk just to drag it out of him, but even then he’d hardly confessed anything. He was still rational as a drunk, just more honest and responsive to my probing questions. It was like his carefully placed filter turned off when he had alcohol in him.
“Bella,” He’d sighed and rubbed at his face like he was annoyed. “It’s not that big of a deal.” 
“But it is, Edward.” I leaned against his chest. “Just tell me why you turned it down.” 
He shrugged. “I’m not about to uproot my entire life for a program. Seattle children’s is a wonderful hospital. It’s more than adequate to teach me what I need to learn about pediatric medicine.” 
“I know, but, Boston Edward.” I argued poignantly. “Isn’t Boston like number one in the field? Wouldn’t you want to study at the best? This is your career, not a hobby.” I’d emphasized. 
Edward rolled his eyes at me like it wasn’t that big of a deal. “My life is here in Seattle. Why would I want move to the other side of the country? I’d be away from you, away from my family...” He’d reasoned. 
“I’d go with you.” I quickly argued.If that was the root of this problem then I would need to make myself clear right then and there. “So this better not be about me.” 
He’d chuckled in response. “Everything is about you love. Surely you know that by now. You’re my North Star. My oxygen.” 
It was my turn to roll my eyes. “I can still be that in Boston.” I stared at him. “I can write anywhere.”
He shook his head. “I couldn’t ask that of you.” 
“You wouldn’t have to ask, Edward.”  I scooted close to him. 
His arms came around me and he kissed the top of my head. “The choice is made baby. Besides, it’s not about Seattle vs. Boston. I just don’t want to move across the country. My life is here. We have a life here together.” 
So I’d taken his word and just let it go. In return, I focused on Edward’s suggestion of taking it easy and spending time with family. I spent a great deal of time at our town house in the city, eager to turn our house into a home. We’d just moved in together a few weeks before we went on our island resort getaway. The house was Edward’s of course, he wasn’t going to let me help him with the mortgage, so I’d refused to sign anything that legally made it half mine. 
That had really pissed him off at first, but eventually he got back at me by making me the beneficiary should anything happened to him. That was another fight. I was upset by his morbidity but he’d pleaded with me to understand. He wooed me with his green eyes and soft kisses. I was a goner before I’d even known it. He was that good. 
So, when I wasn’t at home, I was with Esme in Forks.
I had four huge Gucci shoe boxes full of pictures and nothing but time, so I let Esme guide me in the art of scrap booking. I wanted to make a montage of mine and Edward’s courtship and I was eager to lay the memories of our life out on the pages Esme had helped me design. I dreamed of getting old with Edward and hoped that years from now, we could sit with our great-great grandchildren and show them how our family had started. 
It wasn’t really a regular Thursday in Forks. It was bright and sunny, rainless - a perfect weather day. It should have been an omen to me. This was after all Forks I was talking about. 
I had been sitting at the large oak table in the dining room with Esme putting the finishing touches on one of the pages, when my cell phone chirped for my attention. 
Excitedly, I flipped it open thinking it was Edward. He usually called and texted me between classes. It was a number I hadn’t recognized, but that wasn’t unusual. Edward often forgot to grab his phone from the cup holder in the center console of the Volvo, and rather than trek back to the car for it, he’d just drop a few quarters in the pay phone between buildings. 
“Hi honey,” I chirped happy and excited. 
“Bells,” Jakes voice crooned at me through the phone. “You sure know how to greet your callers.” 
“Jake,” my voice registered surprise and excitement. 
It had been almost a year since the last time I'd seen him. The last time having been Thanksgiving when Edward and I had picked Charlie up from Billy’s house to take him to an early dinner at the Cullen’s after they’d watched the afternoon football game. 
Although we hadn't really gotten to spend much time together then, I’d been surprised when I knocked on the door to retrieve Charlie and he answered the door. We spent a few minutes chatting in the thresh hold of his fathers small house while Edward had sat patiently in the car waiting while Charlie said his goodbyes to his surrogate family.  
It had been a good surprise to see him, our busy schedules had kept long distance phone conversations short, but sweet. The only times we'd gotten to see each other over the years were always shared with our families. There was never time to just hang out the way we used to back before Edward had taken center stage in my life. The growing distance between us was something I regretted, but felt was necessary. I loved Edward and I knew that Jacob had been starting to have feelings for me. I had always seen Jacob as a friend, but when Edward and I had begun dating, he started to make his crush on me more known. To avoid a fall out between us, I slowly withdrew from him, using school and plans with other friends as an excuse. I’d felt bad, but I reasoned with myself that his crush would diminish once we spent less time together. 
It seemed to work out for the best, because shortly after that Jacob begun to take a serious interest in cars. His passion took off my senior year when Charlie told me that he dropped out of school to move to California and follow his dreams in the automotive industry. He was currently in his third year of apprenticeship with the famous car remodeling company West Coast Customs.
When I called Jake to congratulate him on his success, he had told me about his apprenticeship. I was ecstatic for him, his dreams of owning his own body shop could really take off just from gaining experience from such a well known shop.
That, and I teased him relentlessly about recommending me to MTV for Pimp My Ride
If anyone's ride needed to be pimped, it was mine.
His excited voice brought me back to reality. 
"Are you in town?"
“Yea.” I smiled into the phone. It was good to hear his voice, warm and nostalgic. 
Whether I realized it or not, I had really missed our friendship. When he'd told me he was on a short vacation from his internship at West Coast Customs out in Corona, California I got really excited. 
"Hey, so would you want to get together? I was hoping you might want to join me for some cliff diving..." he taunted, knowing I wouldn't because Edward would flip.
"Sure, but you know that’s not gonna happen," I replied glumly. "Maybe we could hang out at First Beach, we could build sand castles and boogie board. If you're up for it." I asked with a goofy childhood grin.
Esme smiled over at me and began cleaning up our mess.
"That sounds like a great idea." Jake answered, sounding genuinely pleased. “I’m always up for anything with you.” His voice hinted at something entirely different, but I chose to ignore it. 
"Okay," I smiled, truly happy. "I just need to get ready and give Edward a call."
"He's not around?" I couldn't ignore the hopeful sound that Jake's voice expelled.
"No," I tried to pass off the unsettling feeling I was getting. "He's taking a summer class in Seattle three times a week."
"Oh," was Jake's lowly reply.
"Yea," I answered just as lamely. "I'll just give him a call and let him know what's up and then I'll head down."
"What, you can't have a life while he's away?" Jake asked sourly.
"He isn't away," I tried not to get upset. If there was one thing Jake was great at, it was getting under my skin. "He's got a lab this afternoon but when he's out we're supposed to meet for dinner and go window shopping for a new bedroom set for the house."
 I wasn't sure why I was trying to explain or justify my need to call Edward. It was common knowledge Jake didn't like Edward and the feeling was mutual. I'd given up trying to get them to coexist a long time ago.
I noticed Esme getting up and clearing our clippings and punch-out's, before she shot me an apologetic look and left the room, doing her best to give me privacy.
"You know," I huffed in agitation. "...just forget it."
I wasn't sure why I kept bothering with Jake, every time we'd tried to make plans he'd taken this defensive stance. I knew it was toward Edward...but I couldn't understand why he'd had to be like that with me.
"No," Jake sighed with remorse, "I'm sorry, Bella. I'm just tired from the long hours at the shop and the drive. I really want to see you."
I thought for a moment, for the first time ever, I was unsure if I'd wanted to see him.
"Really Bella," he spoke swiftly, like he was panicked he'd went too far this time. "I promise not to get sour about Edward again."
"If you promise." I relented after a long moment of silence. "I want to see you too, but I don't want to argue. If you want to spend time with me, then that's great. But, I won't fight about Edward with you."
"We don't have to even talk about him Bella." Jake promised, sounding a little too enthusiastic about the idea. Still, he promised and I knew he'd behave.
At least, I hoped. 
Besides, he knew if I told Edward he was anything less than a gentleman to me, he'd drive down to La Push and throttle him.
"Okay," I paused and then breathed out the weird anxiety I felt. "I'll call you when I cross the boarder into the Rez."
After we'd hung up, I ran up stairs to Edward's bedroom to gather a few of my things. I was grateful Esme had insisted on Edward and I keeping some things here for when we visited. Edward had told her to go ahead and remodel his room when we'd moved to the city together, but she wouldn't have it.
Instead, she and Alice had stocked the closet with clothing and toiletries insisting it was only here if we needed it and decided on an unsuspected visit. 
I knew better though, Esme loved to have us all together. She lived for the eight of us under one roof, laughing and happy. I couldn't blame her, some of my happiest memories were in this house surrounded by the sea of ferns and my happy family.
After I slipped on one of the eight spare bathing suits Alice had stocked on of my drawers with (and most modest), I was calling Edward's cell to leave a message.
"Hi love," Edward answered on the third ring surprising me.
"Hi baby," I cooed back at him, feeling warmth sweep through my entire body just from the sound of his voice. “I was just going to leave you a message.” 
“Oh yeah? Well, lucky me that I remembered my phone today.” and then “My girlfriend,” he said offhandedly to someone. 
“I’m sorry, I really thought I’d get your voicemail.” I apologized. 
“Don’t be sorry, baby. Hearing your voice is the highlight of my day.” 
“I thought getting me naked was the highlight of your day.” 
He barked out a laugh in response to my jab. “Yes, well, that too. So what’s going on?” 
“Erm..” I hesitated, unsure of how to bring up the topic. Leaving a message was easier. 
At my pause Edward chuckled in response. "All right, tell me what it is that you want." The sound of his voice lit a fire deep within my Belly. Suddenly, my mind was in the gutter.  
"What makes you think I want anything?" I purred.
"Bella..." Edward groaned quickly catching up with my mood. “Are you trying to give everyone a peak at my manhood?” 
“What! No, why?” I laughed incredulously and then realized to what he was referring. “Are you getting hard for me?” I asked sweetly. 
“Bella...” Edward groan quickly turned into a low, primal growl. 
"Sorry," I laughed, but was proud of myself nonetheless for eliciting that kind of reaction from him with only the sound of my voice.
"What's up, babe?” I could tell he was trying to sober his thoughts. “I'm just heading into my last class."
"I know, sorry to bother you." I started.
“Bella,” He sighed. "You're never bothering me sweetheart." He told me firmly.
"Fair enough," I smiled. "I just wanted to tell you that I got a call from Jake and he's in town, so we made plans to hang out on First Beach this afternoon."
"Oh," Edward sounded sour.
"Hey, not you too." I complained. "We're just hanging out until you're out of class. I already told him we have plans tonight and I can’t stay long."
Edward phis'ed. "Sounds like he took that well."
"Yeah," I replied dryly. "That's why I'm counting on you to be the adult here and treat me like the woman you love, and not a possession."
"I don't treat you like a possession." He grumbled.
"No," I agreed "but, you have been known to go a little overboard when it comes to Jake."
"It's warranted." 
"Maybe," I agreed, shocking the hell out of Edward.
"That's new." He sounded surprised. 
"Yeah, well, I'm tired of being treated like a rag doll when it comes to the two of you. That, and it's exhausting trying to put up with the prejudice you have toward each other."
"Why, he' say shit about me again?" Edward practically rumbled like a lion.
"Nah." I shrugged, forgetting he couldn't see me. "He's just annoyed that I’m calling to tell you about my plans. He thinks I'm checking in with you or something."
"That's because he's a mongrel that can't understand the idea of a committed relationship." Edward sounded annoyed. 
“Yea, maybe.” I sighed. 
"Listen baby, I've got to get going they're about to start." He sighed. “Honey, I'm not forbidding you to go spend time with Jake, but if you're feeling as uncomfortable as you sound, I'd rather you stay home."
"No," I tried to sooth his worry. "I'm not, I just, I'm so sick of defending myself-us, to him every time we hand out." I huffed. "I just wish we could get together for once and just be us, you know? I haven't seen him in a few years and it just feels like the same tired argument. I'm tired of fighting over something that isn't going to change."
"Well, maybe you should tell him that." Edward encouraged. “Hang on,” he asked pausing to listen to what someone was saying.  "Fuck, he hissed. “We might run a little over this evening, the professors running a little late. I'll call you when I'm out."
"Okay," I smiled, feeling lighter just having talked this out with him. "Have fun dissecting your cadaver." I shuddered.
"Oh yes," I could picture him rolling his eyes at me. "Because the manipulation of another guys' junk is the pinnacle of my day."
"Oh, you're doing the sexual organs today?" I giggled, loving that I got to poke fun at Edward. 
Since I'd learned he got a male cadaver for his summer lab, rather than the female he'd been hoping for it, had been too easy.
"I love you, babe." Edward chuckled. "Be careful and behave yourself."
“What if I want to be a bad girl?” I purred. “Maybe I want you to spank me for being bad.” 
His sharp intake of breath spiked my blood. 
“Oh baby,” He whispered into the phone. I could tell his mind was on the mental picture of me in his head. “I’ll be more than happy to deliver.” 
“Yeah?” I answered with forced breathlessness. “You promise?” 
“Ugh huh.” Edward practically moaned. 
That was my cue. Better to end the call before things escalated to him getting kicked out of class for being a disruption. It wouldn’t be the first time I’d worked Edward up on the phone...but I was sure he wouldn’t want to be embarrassed by the effect I had on him in front of a room full of strangers.  
“Tease.” He hissed into the phone. 
I laughed out loud. “Don’t try and deny that you don’t love it. We both know you’d be lying.” 
“How right you are, love. How right you are.” He joined my laughter. 
"I love you." I cooed into the phone. "Call me when you're out and I can meet you halfway. We can grab dinner in the middle somewhere."
"That sounds like a good plan. I'll call when I'm on my way to the car."
"Okay." I smiled sweetly, still unable to be the one to hang up first.
"Bye love." Edward hummed. "I don’t want to, but I'm hanging up..."
“I know.” I whispered. “I love you.” 
“I love you, too baby. I’ll see you later this afternoon.” 
"Bye..." I sighed.
The phone clicked and I flopped down on the massive bed that still sat poised in the center of the room. The only difference between now and high school had been a new duvet cover. This one was a deep hunter green that matched the tree line just out side the windows, instead of the glorious golden one. The bed was so welcoming and comfortable that I almost fell asleep in the short minutes I'd laid back. With a sigh and a stretch, I hoisted myself out of bed and made my way to the driveway.
"On your way out dear?" Esme called from a corner rose garden at the front far corner of the house. She dropped her pruning sheers and gloves and made her way to me.
"Yea, I'm going to spend the afternoon at First Beach with Jake. He's just back in town." I told her.
"That'll be nice." She smiled and came to pull me into a hug. "Have a good time and make sure to tell Jacob I say hello?"
"I will." I hugged her back tightly. "I'll see you Sunday? Edward and I will bring chicken and steak to barbecue."
"Dad will love that." Esme smiled knowingly. "I'll pick up some things for potato salad and coleslaw."
"Sounds great." I giggled, knowing Carlisle lived for cooking on his Weber whenever he got the chance. Even if he practically burned the house down every time he fired the thing up. Twice a summer the small volunteer fire department of Forks had some excitement to attend to.   
“Invite your father, it’ll be good to have him here if anything goes wrong.” Esme rolled her eyes playfully in response, her thoughts were right on track with mine. "I'll see you later, honey."
I turned and climbed into the cab of my truck and fired up the slightly calmer engine. I smiled as it purred beneath me thanks to Rosalie. Although, I still wasn't sure why she'd done it, maybe Edward had put her up to it. Either that, or she'd rigged it to explode. I wouldn't have been too surprised, it wasn't a huge secret Rosalie hated me. Although I wasn't positive, I think it had to do with the closer than her comfort relationship I had with Emmett. 
Shrugging it off, I focused my thoughts else where. I didn't really care.
Rosalie was a bitch. End of story.
It wasn't long before I was pulling into a spot in front of the beach and securing the parking break. I easily found Jake on the beach, setting up a blanket. His bronze skin glistened in the sunlight and his toned muscled rippled as he moved about. I sat watching him for a moment, admiring him unabashedly from a far. I couldn't deny he was attractive, he was easily much more than that.
Still, he was like my brother and I loved Edward with my entire heart and soul. I knew nothing would ever change that simple fact.
Even devilishly handsome facial features and a firm eight pack. 
Watching him I wondered if he'd found a girlfriend yet out in California. He deserved to find a great girl that would make him happy.
Slipping out of the cab before he could notice me watching him, I slammed my door and took a beach bag out of the bed in the back. I'd hardly walked three footsteps before Jake was sprinting up the beach to meet me.
"Bella!" he yelled. "Is that you?"
"Yeah," I shouted out in laughter as I walked briskly to meet him.
"You look beautiful!" he bellowed, although by now he was right in my face. "God, look at you." His bright smile warmed me.
"You look great too," I squealed as he hoisted me into his arms and spun me around. "Jake, put me down!" I laughed.
Crushing me to his chest, he lowered me down the length of him. At first it hadn't come off as an intimate gesture to me. I think I was trying to ignore it anyhow.
"You're so beautiful," he murmured, pulling me close again. "I can't believe its been so long."
"About three years," I replied, just as in awe. "I think the last time I saw you and we were able to really catch up was when I'd graduated with my bachelors from UW."
"I think you're right." Jake smiled. "It's been busy huh?" he mused.
"Ugh," I rolled my eyes, "you have no idea."
We walked together down the beach, talking and catching each other up on our missing years. It felt good to be talking with Jake. We were slipping comfortably back into our old ways of endless talk and friendly advice. I was so thankful. I remembered thinking that I’d made the right choice in putting the distance between us. My plan to strengthen our old friendship had worked. 
He told me about his work at the shop and how he was working up to be a partner in the company. I was so happy for him. He was doing so great, really making a name for himself and getting the experience that would only benefit him in the long run. It felt great to see a friend doing so well in their life.
We'd boogie boarded for a good solid two hours after that. We hadn't really kept up valiant conversation during. It was mostly laughing and wipes outs that made me sputter salt water from my nose. As much as it hurt, I loved it.
The day had really started to wind down then, the sun dipped low in the sky as I dragged my shivering, pruned form back to the blanket Jake had set up earlier in the day. I plunked down and snatched a towel from my bag, quickly wrapping up with the hopes of easing the chill.
"So," Jacob flopped down beside me. "You should come to Cali before school goes back. You can crash at my place, I'll show you around town for a week...It’ll be fun, like old times."
It’s funny how one phrase could really make you think so negatively all of a sudden. One minute I was enjoying the company of an old friend, the next I was suddenly suspicious of Jakes real intentions of asking me here. At first, I shrugged it off like I was over reacting, but then something happened. 
"Er...I don't know," I shrugged. "Edward's busy with class this summer, he's trying to get a jump on his psychological condition with these labs he's taking. It's a really important step to passing his exams for his license and I want to be there for him."
Jake scoffed, angry all of a sudden. "Why do you always put your life on hold for him?" He suddenly demanded. 
"Who's putting anything on hold?" I looked at him incredulously. "I have an easy summer for the first time in almost eight years, I graduate this fall.” 
“Exactly, so why can’t you come hang out with me for a few weeks?”
“Weeks?” I raised my eyebrows. “I thought we were talking about days here. I can’t go to California for weeks, Jake.” 
“Why not?” I pouted. “You deserve a break after you’ve worked your ass off the last few years.” 
“Yeah, but just because I’m graduating doesn’t mean I can just go galavanting across the country for weeks. I have responsibilities.” 
“You mean you have to babysit Edward.” He grumbled. 
“I’m not babysitting him. He’s happens to be my boyfriend.” I practically snarled. “I need to be there for him. One of the labs Edward is helping him get a jump on his rotation for patients with terminal illness, Jake. Can you imagine how difficult that's going to be for him to see, considering his focus is pediatrics?"
"No one asked him to be a doctor," Jacob snarked. "He's only going in to this line of work because his father and brother are both doctors. He wants the glory and money. You think he gives a shit about those cancer ridden kids Bella? Please."
I was on my feet with clenched fists. "Fuck you!" I spat in total disgust. "You don't know anything, how dare you say that about him!" 
The enjoyable evening was gone just as quickly as it started. Spinning on my heel, I grabbed my bag and sprinted for my truck. I was digging for my phone to call Edward and immediately remembered I hardly ever got good reception out here until I'd started to make my way to the boarder.
Suddenly, I hated La Push. 
"When are you going to see him for what he is?" He caught my arm and spun me around. "He a blood sucker, look what he's done to you! I hardly recognize you anymore. Is it the money, are you going to do? Just lay down and be his trophy wife when he gets his hot shot medical career and six figure salary that daddy's already secured for him!" he was screaming in my face. “I thought you were better than that!”
"Get you fucking hands off me!" I slammed his chest with my fists.
"No way, not until you hear me out!"
"I've heard enough," I snarled, fighting back tears. "You've already made your opinion of me perfectly clear." I started to walk away, but he quickly stopped my by tightening his hold on my arm. 
"I've been waiting for you to notice me for years, Bella." Jake grumbled in disgust, not bothering to stop. "I wondered if you'd ever wake up from the dream world you're living in with him." I wrenched my arms from his grip. 
 Opting to stared out over the cresting wave of the ocean, knowing that he wouldn’t let me get away too easily without hearing him rant a little more. 
He sighed and tried to get into my line of vision. "He's like a drug for you Bella, can't you see that?"
"I love him."I refused to look at him. 
"You don't know any better.” He whispered softly. “You've never given anyone else a chance." He sighed heavily, the sound suddenly turning to a growl of frustration. Before I knew what was happening he yanked me to face him. 
“I’ve waited so long, Bella.” Licking his lips he looked deeply into my eyes. "When am I going to get my turn?"
I saw red.
Yanking my arm away from him yet again, this time instead of turning my back on him I stood my ground and glared.
"Your turn for what, exactly?" I spat. "Am I a toy, is that it?" Jacob's eyes widened in realization and he winced. "You're an asshole." I stormed past him.
 Dripping wet and freezing, clad in only the modest bikini that covered me, I made it back to my truck without looking back.
I was done. It was a mistake coming here and I should have just listened to myself and Edward.
Edward.
I needed to get out of here immediately. I hoped he was out of his class by now and I could calmly explain what had happened, to him. I was still fuming and I knew only Edward could sooth me now.
As I reached the truck, I fished my keys from the bottom of the bag before flinging it into the back. Before I could open the door and climb in though, something slammed into me hard from the back. Suddenly a pair of strong arms spun me around and hoisted me so quickly, I hadn't know what-or who, hit me.
My eyes widened in shock when Jacob quickly pressed my back into the cab door used his arms to wrap my legs around his waist before smashing his mouth to mine.
shocked at first, it took my mind to work through what the hell had happened. When I could get my brain to make my limbs work, I shoved him in protest, squeezing my lips together and squirming in his grasp. The kiss was forceful, his hands wandered and after my fruitless attempts, I went limp against him after several moments of struggle. 
I figured if maybe I stilled against him and didn't return the kiss he was assaulting me with he'd get the hint and stop. However, my plan backfired. Unfortunately for me, he took my stillness as consent and began an enthusiastic dance against my unwilling body. His hands wandered and his hips ground against mine.
I wasn't aroused. If anything, I was more terrified by his behavior than anything. He was much stronger than me and while I knew he would never hurt me or take me against my will like that, a small part of me was terrified that maybe he was capable of that.
After all, I hadn't known him as well as I used to.
My mind drifted to a zoned out uncomfortable place. I knew I should have fought back, tried to get away from him...but I just couldn't make myself move. Everything my father had taught me about self defense flew out of my head in that terrifying moment. Nothing could have prepared me for this moment, I felt weak and ashamed of myself for not being able to make him stop. I was helpless, terrified, and sick to my stomach all at once.
Just as I felt the bile rising to my throat, his kiss started to turn soft and his hands gentle. He kissed me once, twice, three times gently on the corner of my mouth and allowed me to gently sink to the ground from between the prison of his body and my truck. 
My equilibrium was starting to come back, my senses clearing and my rage building in its place.
He was looking down at me adoringly, smiling like a love sick fool.
It took all I had to not throw up right in his face.
I should have.
"That was some kiss, Bells.'" Jake smirked and began to lean down to peck my lips again. Only this time, I was ready for him.
Taking my hands, I braced them on his shoulders and poised my knee between his legs. One minute he was smiling down at me, seeming to look happy that I was responding to him and the next his eyes were rolling back in his head in pain as the ball of my knee made a sicken crunch between his legs. 
Still bracing him with my left hand on his shoulder, I drew my hand back and slapped his across the face so hard my fingers burned. 
He sank to his knees in front of me howling in pain.
"You better get out of town fast." I spat at him as I fought to hold in my tears. "If there's anything left of you when Edward's done with you, my father will finish you off."
I ripped my front door open and rushed into the cab of the truck, starting the engine and peeling out, I wasn't even careful to make sure that I didn’t   run him down in my haste.
Once past the town line of Forks, I had to pull over on the side of the road. My entire body was trembling so badly I could barely see straight. With blurred teary eyes, I popped the door of my truck open and stepped out to grab my bag from the bed. Blindly, I felt around for my phone and thanked God for automated speed dial.
"Call Edward. Cell." I choked when the sleek phone asked me to say a command.
 It rang several times before it went straight to his voice mail. He must have still been in his class. It must have run late after all. With shaking fingers I ended the call. I couldn’t leave him a message knowing the way my voice sounded. I suddenly realized how bad of an idea it would have been to call him in the first place. He was going to flip out and I didn’t want him driving in a state of mind like that. 
So I decided to go to the only place I knew that I would feel safe until Edward called me. After all, I could always have my father call him and say I was at the station, that my truck had broken down. He would be worried, but he’d know I was safe and he wouldn’t have to really worry until I was with him. Until my father could restrain him. 
Quickly climbing back in the cab, I started the truck back up and made my way to my father. I knew he was most likely still at the station and not out in the cruiser, so I made my way in that general direction.
Thankfully, I was relieved to find his cruiser parked right out front. I pulled into the small lo, and parked next to him. As I climbed out of the truck, I caught my reflection in the window of his cruiser and gasped. 
I looked absolutely horrible. Already, a thick set of bruises were blooming over my arms and thighs. Tears started streaming down my face as I examined myself. I couldn’t go back to the Cullen’s for a change of clothes looking like this and I wouldn’t have anything to cover these marks anyway. Besides, I knew if I continued to drive in my current frame of mind, I was likely to crash.  So, I made a quick decision  to cover up as best I could. Fishing the only other items I had with me out of my beach bag, my shorts and a pair of sun glasses. I quickly slipped them on so I could walk into the station wearing something a little more covering than bathing suit. Plus, there was no way I could let my father’s deputy’s see my face. I needed to address my father when we were alone in the privacy of his office.
Because he was going to flip the fuck out.
Taking a deep breath, I pushed the front door to the station open and made my way to the front desk. Deputy Mark was poised, one foot up on the desk, rocking his chair under him. Two other officers, one I recognized as another deputy; Steve-I think that's what his name was-shot up when I came through the door.
"Bella," Mark greeted me with a happy smile. "This is a nice surprise. He's been crabby all day, maybe your visit will cheer him up." He chuckled hopefully.
Doubt it. I thought as I faked a smile, still hiding behind my glasses.
Hesitating at first, I decided it was best to inform Charlie right away. The longer I waited, the worse the situation would get. I wished Edward were here but knew if he were, Jake wouldn't be much longer.
I'd rather have Charlie kill him, he was more likely to get away with it being the Police Chief.
"Is he busy?" I asked Mark, trying to clear the emotion from my throat. I hoped they hadn't noticed my behavior, but who was I kidding? They're cops, and if they were good at one thing, it was detecting suspicious activity.
Despite the dim lighting in the room, I still hadn't removed my sun glasses and Mark had definitely noticed.
"Chief?" Mark shouted over his shoulder, but kept his eyes on me. He looked wary, almost...protective? I could tell he had a question for me, but he hesitated.
"Yeah," Dad shouted from his office. His mouth sounded half full of food.
"Bella's here." He called back.
"Send her back." I could hear the smile in his voice his mood seemed fine to me. Too bad that was about to change. "Oh, send that file with her."
Mark stood up and stretched his hand out, holding a manila folder to me. I stepped forward and took it from him as he buzzed me through the security door. 
Closing it firmly behind me once I passed through, Steve caught my eye.
"You okay, Bella?" He looked worried as his eyes swept over my form.
"Yeah." I replied hoarsely before turning and making my way back to my fathers office.
Charlie was eating a sandwich, hunched over his stone-aged computer, typing with his pointer fingers. If I hadn't been so shaken, I would have laughed.
He glanced at me from the corner of his eye and smiled as I stepped through the thresh hold of his office. I knew he wasn’t aware of my emotional climate before he turned his attention back to the screen. I closed the door softly behind me and flipped the file onto his desk.
"I love when you visit me work honey, but next time can you wear a shirt over your bikini top? My men are probably having convulsions out there by now and I hate to have to take out my shot gun." He harrumphed.  
As he spoke, I pulled my glasses off and inched my way to his desk. Feeling small and weak, I kept my eyes at my toes and waited for him to notice me. 
He looked up at me, smiling as he finished his little rant but it quickly fell from his face when he really looked at me. Before I knew it, he was on his feet in front of me.
"Bella," he looked me up and down as his voice turned into that of a worried father. "What's going on?" he demanded calmly. 
I broke down, at the sound of his concern voice. Tears flowed down my cheeks like tiny neverending streams as I cried out unrestrained and collapsed into his arms.
"Dad," I sobbed as he pulled me close. 
"Honey?" he held me tightly to him, clearly panicked. I’d shocked him. 
Then, suddenly he seemed to regain himself. "What's going on? Did Edward do this to you!"
 He was growling, on the verge of screaming. Pulling me back, his hands went to the left side of my ribs and traced an angry mark I'd just now noticed.
"Ouch," I winced when his hands traced along the scrape. 
“I kill him!” Charlie roared as he jumped to the wrong conclusion. 
"Dad, It wasn't Edward." I cried. “How could you even think that?” 
"Then who!" Charlie demand furiously, ignoring my annoyance at his accusation. 
“Please calm down.” I asked when I noticed his face turning the shade of ripened tomato. “Dad, you’re going to have a heart attack. Please.” I begged. 
“I’ll calm down when you tell me who did this to you.” 
Taking a deep shuddering breath, I told him about going to La Push for the afternoon and meeting up with Jake. When I was done, he gone from tomato  to eggplant in color. 
"Jacob put his hands on you without permission?" he snarled.
"Yes, but dad, I don't think he thought he didn't have my permission-" I tried to reason. Not that I begged for Jacobs sake. I didn’t want my father to go to jail for murder. 
Charlie cut me off. "Did he force himself on you without your permission Bella?" I knew what he was asking. He knew I wasn't stupid, that if it was just a simple kiss it wouldn't have had me this shaken. Wouldn't have left my skin covered in bruises and little red abrasions. 
"Dad, I'm sorry-" I started to tell him, because I truly was. Billy Black was his best friend and the Jake we used to know was a great kid.
I don't know what had happened, but I knew that this would change everything between our families.
"Mark, Steve!" Dad bellowed before turning back to me he asked, "Did he hurt you? ...he didn't..." he grimaced with discomfort and pure rage. 
I knew what he was asking. Silently questioning me about something I had fought hard not to think about. Something that sickened me further and made me shake with fear.
"No." I promised, seeming to ease him only slightly because of my confession. "It was just a really rough kiss...I thought he was going to but I-" I panicked suddenly. 
"You what?" Charlie eyed me with concern.
"I-I hit him dad..." I whispered just as Mark and Steve came barreling through his office door.
"Hit him how?" Charlie stared at me, his eyes lighting with a strange sense of pride.
"I-I um, I kneed him between the legs and slapped him really hard." I flexed my fingers as they tingled in memory of the connection. Then I grimaced. 
“What?” Dad pressed when he noticed the face I was making.
"Um...in my haste to get out of there...I um...I might have accidentally run him over." I averted my eyes in shame. 
Dad eyed me warily for a a moment before he turned his attention to hoist his gun belt from the hook on the wall. He seemed thoughtful for a moment before he spoke.
"Let's hope that for his sake, you killed him with the truck when you escaped." Glaring in a blind rage, he turned to his two senior deputy's. "We've got a situation I need to handle at First Beach boys." The two of them glanced at me before looking back at my dad and nodded.
"Isn't that out of our jurisdiction Chief?" Steve asked warily, before receiving my father’s incredulously icy I'm the chief of police, how dare you question me glare. "Sir," Steve sobered up, turning on his heel with Mark following closely behind.
"Dad," I stammered nervously. "Please don't do anything crazy." I begged.
"Don't you worry about your old man," he replied gruffly before he eyed me carefully like he suddenly remembered something monumentally important. "Where's Edward? Does he know about this?"
"He's still in his class in Seattle."
"Well, that's probably a good thing." Charlie huffed. "You make sure to tell him that I'll handle this. We don't need him ending up in prison for manslaughter." I nodded in agreement.
"I'm just going to go to the Cullen's and wait for him. I was supposed to head back toward Seattle for home, but I don't think I can drive that far by myself."
"Ready to roll chief!" Mark cried out from the front office.
"Okay honey," dad agreed. "Are you okay to drive yourself over there?"
"Yeah," I took a sobering breath. "I'm fine. Just a little shaken up."
Walking out together, dad helped me into my truck and kissed the top of my head. I watched him walk away toward the waiting car. Climbing into the passenger seat of the cruiser before the three of them took off toward La Push.
With a shuddering breath, I started up the trucked and decided to head to Charlie’s first. I remembered that I had a few things there that I could change into. If I walked into the Cullen house looking like this...
I didn't even want to think of it.
I thankfully made it safely to Charlie’s and up to my old room. When I got safely behind the closed door I peeled off the bathing suit and tossed it in the trashcan next to my bed before I started hunting in my chest of drawers for a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. 
From the corner of my eye I spotted Edward's worn down udub sweatshirt resting on the arm of the rocking chair in the corner. Despite the warm weather, a cold ache lanced it’s way through me. Without hesitation, I slipped it over my head and was immediately assaulted with Edward. His clean strong scent rushed to my nose and instantly calmed me.
Gathering my wits, I went to the bathroom to splash cold water over my face and was shocked when I had my first real glance in the mirror. I was a mess, smudged makeup, swollen lips, disheveled hair. If I didn't know any better, I'd have thought I'd spent the afternoon with Edward.
Taking deep breaths, I fought back the tears that threatened to spill over. I ran a comb through my hair and a wet face cloth over my face. Ten minutes later, I was pulling into the driveway, surprised and relieved when I saw Edward's car parked haphazardly in front of the garage door. 
Hope surged through me. 
He was here. 
I checked my phone, puzzled as to why he wouldn't have tried to call me, when I noticed I had a voice mail. Parking the car, I stepped out and walked up to the house whiling dialing to my voicemail to listen to my messages.
There was only one message and it was from Edward. 
"Hi love, the professor was running later than he thought and decided to cut the class this afternoon. I'm on my way up to you now. I was thinking maybe we could stay the night and have dinner with the family. Emmett called, apparently he's up with Rose, they have some big news they want to share." I heard him chuckle into the receiver as I stepped up to the front door and let myself in. "I hope you're having a good time with Jacob, I'll see you soon." Before he hang up he whispered smoothly. "I love you, babe."
I felt the anxiety wash away completely when I stepped into the foyer and spotted Edward just beyond the living room out on the deck. He was leaning over the rail, with his palms resting on the top, hunched and tense looking.
 Eagerly, I made my way to him and wrapped my arms around his waist.
"Hi," I snuggled into his back, burring my nose against the fabric of his shirt.  All of my fears washed away. 
That was, until he completely stiffened under my touch. 
"Edward?" I pulled back and touched his shoulder. He wouldn’t even look at me. 
"What the fuck are you doing here?" Edward growled at me. The force of his voice made me leap back, startled with shock. He never spoke with the tone to me. Ever.
"Edward?" I squinted my eyes in confusion.
"Get. Out." He rumbled.
"Edward, what's going on?" I asked in a shaky voice.
His answering chuckle was dark and sinister. "What's going on?" He wheeled on me, eyes blazing and red with previously shed tears. "That's what I should be asking you!" he roared. "Did you think that I wouldn't find out, that you could fuck around behind my back and I wouldn't find out!" his voice rose with each syllable.
"What are you talking about!" I took a step toward him.
"I. Saw. You." He punched out each word, little bits of spit flew from his mouth as he spoke. I'd never seen him so angry.
"Saw me? Saw me what!" My fear rose with each breath I took. 
"I went to First Beach looking for you, Bella. What do you think I saw?" He snarled condescendingly.
"You were there!" I shrieked with surprise. 
If he had been there, why didn't he help me! Before I could ask him that exact same question he was towering over me menacingly. 
"Yeah, and its a good thing too isn't it?" Edward snapped at me through clenched teeth. "I was coming to surprise you, looks like I was the one who was surprised."
"Edward I-"
"Save your breath. We're done." With that he turned and pushed off the banister and made his way down the steps to the back yard. Twilight was swiftly rising in the distance. I glanced at the sun, still setting cast a pale orange glow around us was aiding me in making it possible for me to follow after him without falling but not without tripping all over myself as I went.
"So that's it?" I shouted after him. "Just like that, we're done? I don't get to say anything?"
His pace picked up and I followed him as he practically sprinted toward a thick river bank that flowed through the far side of the back yard.
"Nope." He snapped from over his shoulder. "I don't want to hear anything you have to say. You lost your chance the second you wrapped your legs around Jacob Black like a boa constrictor and sucked his tongue down your throat."
"I did not-"
"Really!" he wheeled on me suddenly, eyes blazing with hurt and fury. "You're going to stand there and try to tell me I didn't see the two of you hot and heavy against your truck?" He looked me up and down for a moment. "Looks like you went home to change too. Did you need to wash his smell off your body?" he took a menacing step toward me that had me forced to take one step back in response. I’d never seen him more menacing in my life.
 “I hope it was good," he asked softly, before taunting. "Is his cock as big as mine Bella, did you let him fill you up with it?"
I chocked back a sob and swung my open palm into his face so hard, I thought my fingers were broken. "How dare you." I sobbed once as my fingers burned. "You have no idea-"
But I couldn't finish the sentence, because Edward's dark laughter filled the space between us and suddenly he was waving an engagement ring in my face. "You see this?" he'd said seething with anger, his eyes full of hate and tears. "I’ve been trying to find the right moment to propose for weeks. I wanted to make it perfect for you!” I gasped in shock as tears began to tumble from my eyes.
"At least now I know the truth about you. At least I found out the truth behind yours and Jacob's true relationship." he continued to snarl. "And this," He held the ring up to my face, pinched between his pointer and thumb, "...will never be yours." He squeezed it tightly in an angry fist sneering at me like I was the most disgusting thing he had ever laid eyes on. 
“Edward, please, just let me explain.” I blubbered, reaching out to him. 
“SHUT UP!” He screamed, making me jump. 
His eyes suddenly turned impossibly more animalistic as he turned on the tree line and flung the ring with all of his strength. I watched in horror as the ring glittered in the pale moonlight and sailed through the air sharply, before vanishing into the woods without a trace.
His back bunched like a lion ready to pounce. "I want you off my family's property." His velvet voice snarled softly. 
"Edward...please, don't do this,"
"I don't want to hear it Bella." His voice was suddenly aged hundreds of years as he answered calmly. "Get out."
"You won't even hear me-"
"GET OUT!" He turned and faced me. His eyes wide with rage as he looked at me with disgust. "GET THE FUCK OUT!” He took one menacing stomp toward me as he roared a final “LEAVE!"
I stumbled back from him, shocked by his behavior and afraid.  
I knew how it must have looked to him, that he must have been so angry and upset by what he'd seen that he wasn't thinking rationally. As I stumbled away from him and out of the yard with tears blinding me,  I imagined how I would have felt walking in on Edward in a similar situation.
My heart twisted in my chest and my stomach lurched. As I climbed into the truck I began violently dry heaving through my sobs. 
By some miracle, I managed to start up the truck. 
 As I pulled away through the jungle of ferns I noticed Esme's Mercedes was snaking its way toward me. I feverishly wiped at my eyes and pushed the pedal to my ancient truck to the floor. Making it sputter and backfire loudly from the sudden abuse. I noticed she had begun to roll down the drivers side window, probably thinking I would stop and chat for a moment...maybe find out where I was going since Edward had already told her we'd be staying the night.
I didn't slow down or stop, I didn't roll down my window. I didn't even glance in her direction with a smile as I passed. I just forced my foot harder to the floor and sped out of there like a bat out of hell.

2 comments:

  1. The worst part here is how easily it is to jump into conclusions, get the wrong ideas and not allow anyone to tell us the truth. Not listening is the worst mistake we can do when we think we know what really happened.
    Bella just wanted to catch up with an old friend and set things straight, it didn't go as it should. It went the opposite way.
    Sadly Edward was too angry and is too proud and stubborn to stop, calm down and listen. Both will live with the consequences...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying re-reading this story... I am looking forward to the next update! Will it be soon?

    ReplyDelete